Compare Auto Insurance

Enter your zip code

Insurance Library

Auto Insurance in Kansas

The State of Kansas currently requires that all drivers be covered under liability auto insurance and that proof of car insurance always be carried within the vehicle at any moment.

Kansas is an unusual state in that any auto insurance policy issued in the State of Kansas must have minimum liability, personal injury protection and uninsured/underinsured coverage; the State of Kansas wants its citizens to be protected on the road and requires that all drivers have sufficient insurance. Kansas has a no fault insurance system in which your insurance company is forced to make payments covering any injury claims, up to a certain limit, without regard for who is at fault.

Kansas Minimum Liability Coverage

Liability coverage is required by law in the State of Kansas. The minimum liability amounts for the State of Kansas are as follows:

  • $25,000 bodily injury per person.
  • $50,000 total bodily injury per accident.
  • $10,000 total property damage per accident.

Remember that these are only the minimum requirements set by the state. Experts always advise that drivers get more than the state-mandated minimums, particularly if you have assets you need to protect, since these limits have not kept pace with the skyrocketing costs of car repairs and medical care. Also, getting liability coverage alone will not cover you in case of damage to your own car, so most drivers will want to add collision and comprehensive coverage to their policies.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Some, not all, states will require that drivers carry UM/UIM, also known as uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage will protect the driver in the event that an accident occurs and the other party does not have auto insurance.

The State of Kansas currently requires UM/UIM coverage, with a minimum coverage limit of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.

No-Fault Insurance

Kansas is a no-fault state, so no-fault insurance is required (see PIP below).

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

PIP is an extension of car insurance available in some U.S. states that pays for medical expenses, rehabilitation, funeral expenses, lost wages, and in-home assistance for you and your passengers injured in an accident, regardless of who is at fault (i.e., no-fault). Passengers who own their own cars collect under their own policies.

As a no-fault state, the State of Kansas current requires drivers to carry PIP insurance with the following minimum coverage limits:

  • $4,500 medical expenses per person
  • $900 lost income per month for one year
  • $25 for in-home services per day
  • $2,000 for funeral, burial or cremation expenses
  • $4,500 for rehabilitation expenses.
  • Survivor Benefits: Disability/loss of income up to $900/month for one year
  • In-home services up to $25/day for one year

Kansas SR-22 Requirements

SR-22 is a document that is required to be filed with a state's DMV as proof that the minimum liability coverage for the state is being carried. Not everyone needs an SR-22 filing. SR-22s are typically required for a driver to reinstate their driving privileges after an offense such as a DUI conviction, uninsured auto accident, or driving without proof of insurance.

Kansas currently requires an SR-22 filing to reinstate a driver's license.

Kansas DUI Laws

For the first DUI offense in the State of Kansas, you will face the following maximum penalties:

  • Minimum 2 days imprisonment or 100 hours community service
  • $500 to $1,000 fine
  • 30-day license suspension
  • 330-day license restriction after suspension
  • Possible vehicle impoundment up to 1 year
  • Possible court-ordered treatment possible

Additional Information on Kansas Insurance

For additional information, you can contact the Kansas Insurance Department at (785) 296-3071 or go to their website at

Read more about the Most Popular Auto Insurance Carriers in KS.