Save up to 75% on insurance

Cheapest rates from just $19 a month

Enter your zip code

Insurance Library

Auto Insurance in Iowa

The State of Iowa currently requires that all drivers be covered under liability auto insurance and that proof of car insurance always be carried within the vehicle at any moment.

After a traffic accident in Iowa, regardless of fault, a report must be filed with the Office of Driver Services within 72 hours of an accident if injuries or property damages are greater than $1,000. However, if a law enforcement officer files a report upon investigation of the accident, it is unnecessary to file a personal accident report yourself. If an accident was your fault and resulted in more than $1,000 in damages to the other party, you will need to prove financial responsibility to avoid having your license suspended.

Iowa Minimum Liability Coverage

Liability coverage is required by law in the State of Iowa. The minimum liability amounts for the State of Iowa are as follows:

  • $20,000 bodily injury per person.
  • $40,000 total bodily injury per accident.
  • $15,000 total property damage per accident.

Remember that these are only the minimum requirements set by the state. Experts always advise that drivers get more than the state-mandated minimums, particularly if you have assets you need to protect, since these limits have not kept pace with the skyrocketing costs of car repairs and medical care. Also, getting liability coverage alone will not cover you in case of damage to your own car, so most drivers will want to add collision and comprehensive coverage to their policies.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Some, not all, states will require that drivers carry UM/UIM, also known as uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage will protect the driver in the event that an accident occurs and the other party does not have auto insurance.

The State of Iowa does not currently require this coverage.

No-Fault Insurance

Iowa is a not no-fault state, so no-fault insurance is not required.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

PIP is an extension of car insurance available in some U.S. states that covers medical expenses and, in some cases, lost wages and other damage.

The State of Iowa current does not require drivers to carry PIP insurance.

Iowa SR-22 Requirements

SR-22 is a document that is required to be filed with a state's DMV as proof that the minimum liability coverage for the state is being carried. Not everyone needs an SR-22 filing. SR-22s are typically required for a driver to reinstate their driving privileges after an offense such as a DUI conviction, uninsured auto accident, or driving without proof of insurance.

Iowa currently requires an SR-22 filing to reinstate a driver's license.

Iowa DUI Laws

For the first DUI offense in the State of Iowa, you will face the following maximum penalties:

  • Minimum 2 days to 1 year imprisonment
  • $625 to $1,250 fine
  • 180-day license suspension
  • Restricted license possible if BAC is below 0.10%
  • Ignition interlock device required if BAC is above 0.10%
  • No restricted license possible if BAC is above 0.15%
  • Possible substance abuse evaluation and treatment
  • Possible substance abuse reality program
  • Possible attendance to drinking drivers course
  • Possible community service

Additional Information on Iowa Insurance

For additional information, you can contact the Iowa Insurance Division at (877) 955-1212 or go to their website at